Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Last Night's Dinner - Homemade Enchiladas!

Last night I made the best dish I've made yet! It was homemade enchiladas, and DAMN they were good! My husband always wants me to make them (but I only do here and there so we never get sick of them hehe) And they were so easy! I basically only needed a 6oz can of tomato paste, small tortillas, a packet of enchilada mix, 2 cups of water, a bag of cheddar cheese, fake meat crumbles, and any filling I wanted to add (I put in chopped mushrooms and diced onions)! The whole process took only an hour, but that is because I'm a slow chopper of veggies, lol. If I was quicker with that, I'd say it would take about 45 minutes total. This makes 8 enchiladas.

First, you combine the water, enchilada mix and tomato paste in a pot and whisk it, then bring it to a boil. While it is heating up, in a skillet (make it a large skillet, with high edges, because you are gonna fill that baby up!) start to sautee the mushrooms and onions (or whatever you choose to put in the enchiladas, I've found, making these a few times now, that this is the tastiest combo I've had ... if you want a little kick, add a jalapeno!) and after about 3-5 minutes of sauteeing them, dump in the fake meat crumbles, which cook in minutes. If you overcook them, they turn rubbery and kinda taste weird, so be careful when you add them to the skillet! Once those are sauteed and the sauce mix is boiling, remove both from the heat and turn off the burners. Find a huge bowl or shallow bowl, one big enough to dip your tortillas in with tongs. Pour HALF of the sauce mix into the bowl, and the other HALF into the sauteed veggie and fake meat crumble mix, stir the latter so the sauce is spread evenly.

Now you start making the enchiladas! First, make sure you have an oven safe platter. I like using one that has high edges vs. a baking sheet, but either will work. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Dip a tortilla in the sauce mix and make sure both sides are coated (not too much, or you won't have enough for all eight!). Transfer it over to your oven safe platter/baking sheet and spoon some of the filling mix into the center. You won't need a lot, because they are small. Once you have enough in there to be full, but not overflow when you roll the enchilada, add some shredded cheese to the mix and roll that baby up! I like folding one end, then rolling the sides up, but you can do whatever you want. Repeat this for all eight enchiladas. And yes, it will be messy! But very worth it. :)

Lastly, once you have all the filling mix used and all the enchiladas rolled and covered in the sauce mix, which should be all used up by now, but if it isn't, you can pour the remaning on top of the filled enchiladas. You should have about a third of a bag left of the shredded cheese, which I also dump on the tops of the enchiladas before baking. Now, all you have to do is put the pan in the oven and set the timer for about 17 minutes and wait!

If you end up making this, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment